- Rattan is the second fastest growing material for furniture production, and regenerates in the span of 5-7 years.
- Rattan contributes to preserve the rainforest, as the plant grows like vines on the trees.
- Rattan absorbs CO2, generates clear air, and produces up to 35% more oxygen than a tree.
- As opposed to bamboo, rattan is not hollow, rather solid. It is strong, bendable and very durable. It is perfect for furniture production.
- Rattan is nearly impossible to wear out and lasts for many generations.
A VALUE CLOSELY WOVEN INTO SIKA DESIGN’S HISTORY
As one of the world’s oldest and largest producers of rattan furniture, sustainability has always been a part of Sika Design’s DNA. Since 1942, rattan has been key in sustainable furniture production.
In recent years, rattan has experienced a growing revival. This growth is playing an integral part in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and “going green” awareness. At Sika Design, we are delighted to be contributing to this revival.
- 80% of the world’s rattan resources grow in Indonesia near Sika Design’s factories.
- Rattan is easy and environmentally friendly to work with. The rattan stem only needs to be steamed for 10-15 minutes before it can be formed.
- All furniture from Sika Design is handcrafted and weaved, using only few machines in the process.
- Glue is not necessary in the production and we only uses toxin free varnishes.
- Rattan comes in 600 different variants, 40 of which can be used in the production of furniture. Sika Design only uses the best quality rattan: Tohiti and Manau.
SUSTAINABILITY AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL
A TRADITION-BOUND CRAFT
Sika Design’s factories are located in Indonesia, where the wickerwork is a tradition-bound craftsmanship passed down from generation to generation. The harvest is done by hand, using only a few machines in the process. The rattan stems only need to be steamed for 10-15 minutes before they can be formed and weaved by the skillful makers.
At Sika Design we value original craftsmanship, which combines proud weaving traditions with a sustainable and modern production, where social responsibility is valued high. We are certified with the international ISO14001 and SA8000 standards. All Sika Design production complies with the local law (Indonesian Legal Wood).
TRANSPORTATION BY SHIP
We make an effort with every step so that our furniture – both during the production, transportation and in your home – affects the environment as little as possible. We transport our products directly from our factories to large exporting markets such as Australia, South Africa, South America and USA. By shipping direct, we are able to reduce time in transit as well as our carbon footprint. Many of our products are stackable to minimize shipping volume, which also reduces overall carbon footprint.
HOW SIKA DESIGN WORKS WITH UN’S SUSTAINABILITY GOALS
At Sika Design, we constantly optimize the processes in a sustainable direction through a general focus on responsible usage and production, which aligns with UN’s Sustainable World Goal 12. This is where we can make an impact.
Since Sika Design was founded in 1942, sustainability has been a natural and integrated part of our mindset. Throughout the years, we have developed a systematical and focused effort to ensure as little as possible strain on the environment through the optimization of production processes and sustainable logistics, transportation and distribution.
When there is a natural connection between Sika Design’s core values and business, we take a proactive initiative to protect our employees, society and the environment locally and globally.
When I started in the furniture business many years ago, I was intrigued by the rattan material’s design possibilities. This fascination has only become even greater in my ongoing awareness of the material’s exceptional sustainability.
LOUISE ANDREASEN 3rd Generation Sika Design